Date Created: February 5, 2018 - 3:18pm
The Research Technician, under the direction of Dr. Himisha Beltran, will perform experiments aimed at understanding the progression of prostate cancer. This will include performing molecular biology and cell culture-based experiments. Under supervision of postdoctoral fellows, the Research Technician will progress to work independently and to eventually train new incoming lab members in his/her expertise area. The Research Technician assesses experimental results and uses feedback to troubleshoot and plan follow-up experiments. Also, assists in the overall daily functioning of the lab and in carrying out general housekeeping duties.
Under supervision, assists scientists with laboratory and investigative procedures This role performs various assays, imaging experiments, and other technical duties to assist with the research activities of the laboratory and may be required to work with animal models and/or human subjects
- Prepares and maintains detailed records, logs and summary reports of all procedures and results including graphs, scientific calculations, and statistical analysis charting.
- May be responsible for tissue & cell culture activities.
- May be responsible for animal husbandry, genotyping, surgeries, post-operative care, behavioral testing, sectioning and histology.
- May perform routine molecular biology laboratory procedures, such as PCR, protein and DNA electrophoresis, cloning and DNA preparation.
- May run routine biochemistry assays including western blotting and RT-PCR.
- May perform microscopic imaging analyses.
- May be responsible for the receipt, storage, cataloguing and shipment of samples within and between institutions.
- Ensures a clean working area and is responsible for washing and storing glassware.
- Ensures the safe laboratory practices are followed, including the use and disposal of chemicals and hazardous materials.
- Analyzes data using computer software and reports results to the principle investigator(s).
- Provides technical support to faculty and staff including training of new employees, residents, postdoctoral associates, fellows and students.
- Participates in planning and carrying out experiments. Assists in preparing research protocols.
- Conducts library research and literature searches using various computer systems. Assists in editing scientific publications, abstracts and posters.
- Maintains inventory of supplies, equipment and/or reagents. May order supplies/equipment/reagents as authorized or ensure that needs are escalated appropriately. Receives supply orders and confirms accuracy of delivery. May assist with cost control.
- Ensures that facilities and equipment are in optimal and proper working condition. Coordinates preventative maintenance and repairs as needed. May perform minor repairs if qualified and as needed. May advise on upgrades for performance enhancements.
B.S. in Molecular Biology, Biology, or related degree.
Highly Desired Requirements
1 year of laboratory experience
Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
Skill and Abilities
Organized and detail-orientated.
Ability to work independently while still collaborating with their team.
Please visit here to apply.
Weill Cornell Medicine Beltran Lab 413 East 69th Street, 14 FL New York, NY 10021 Phone: (646) 962-7536